You are not logged in. Access is limited. Login or see membership information. • ADD Journeys

Sari & Reg will be presenting at the Learning Disabilities Association of Michigan Conference next week! The theme is on Stress and Invisible Disabilities.

We would love to hear from our Community about how YOU take care of your Emotional Health and Well-Being as an adult with ADD. Or submit questions for us to answer. Once we address them at the conference, we will answer them online for all of you.

Thank you to all for your input!

Comments

Lisa Pyke
guest
a guest said on Tuesday, November 6th 2012 @ 7:51 AM:

Hello,

Here is a little video journal I have made that captures some of my feelings about living with ADD.
It is a daily challenge and I constantly try to summons the courage to simply be me....
Mostly I use mindfulness practices to help with the anxiety that I feel most days, and work hard to continually boost my confidence with postive messages and leveraging my artistic gifts.
I am currrently taking a Masters of Leadership-Health program at Royal Roads University which has provided valuable insight into my personality, learning styles and leadership style.
Through journalling and deep reflection I have been able to appreciate the gifts that ADD offers and leverage these to my advantage. Working in health care keeps things interesting for me as there is never a dull day. Yet, my absent mindedness and my inability to manage time, is a challenge for me.
However, being intuitive and being able to connect with a variety of people helps to build relationships which enable me to collaboratively lead my MRI department.

I have come-out-of-the-closet recently- finally admitting to my colleagues that I have ADD at work, this was freeing and yet, terrifying. Others don't always understand what is means.

I hope this helps you in your talk.

Be well,

Lisa Pyke

new comment

Lilly2011
Full Access
Lilly2011 said on Tuesday, November 6th 2012 @ 7:56 AM:

Question: I wonder about taking meds to have less daily stress of ADHD. But I feel scared I will lose other parts of myself that I like. Like enthusiasm, flow and creativity. What do most women with ADD think about meds?

new comment

Niesje
Full Access
Niesje said on Tuesday, November 6th 2012 @ 8:02 AM:

Shiatsu massage

Gestalt therapy

Fysical exercise:Transport by bike and foot as much as possible, gym twice a week (if possible).

Healty food, not too much sugar, milk and bread.

Good partner and friends who appreciate your strenghts and find your ADD managable.

Avoid toxic help and have a clear image of what you want, need and how to ask for it in the right way (nonviolent communication)

Try not to stress out if strangers don't understand you right away. Try to know when it is necessary do be diplomatic. Honesty can cost nerergy too!

Take comfort out of relationships were understanding is more easy or where there is room for explanations.

Simplify your live: doesn't mean do less, but do it in your pace (listen to your body!)

new comment

Niesje
Full Access
Niesje said on Tuesday, November 6th 2012 @ 8:05 AM:

Hi Lisa,

I recognize your story!

new comment

Jewelle
Full Access
Jewelle said on Tuesday, November 6th 2012 @ 2:57 PM:

I need touch and sensory stim so I cuddle with my Hunnie, cat and dog.

Walking the dog in nature and pick up conversations with other dog people.

Weekly conversations with my accountability buddy.

Weekly conversations thru the Sharing Circle.

I listen to books on my iPod. Especially if my mind is stressed and negative thoughts are high, I use my iPod to positively distract my mind's discursive chatter.

For the most part, I don't eat sugar & wheat to keep insulin low. I simplify cooking where I can. We try to eat clean & I like convenience.

Schedule permitting I workout MWF with a group of ladies for connection and better brain chem.

A holistic practitioner & I try to balance my hormones, it's a process. My new goal, perhaps easier said then done, is to get to bed by 10:30 to heal my adrenals.

Open communication w/ my guy. We own our stuff, especially weakness & mistakes, as it comes up and we apologize as needed. Our relationship stays clear and in the present. We are supportive of each other and are involved in each other's life. We reach out and praise each other. Please know that before ADD was known, we lived in a huge chronic power struggle. Life is so much better now and we are very grateful.

Shared prayer & studying scriptures (tho lately I've been off track

As a graphic designer I have created a custom visual weekly list. It serves as a calendar and catch all white board. On this weekly list I sketch out my day the night before, not that I always follow the plan but it helps me add structure and know where to go. On this list I track my progress with check off lists, so I can see what i have been up to. This is for my benefit, so I can see momentum build.

I love the weekly ADDA webinars, it keeps a great flow of fresh ADD-friendly info coming to me at an affordable price.

We see independent and documentary films for pleasure and knowledge.

We are grateful for the progress we have gained. It is slower than we like, however, it is in the right direction and we are grateful.

SmileSmile

new comment

Marrianne Memmott
Full Access
Marr25 said on Tuesday, November 6th 2012 @ 3:55 PM:

Thank you Lisa --- so creative!!!! Marr

new comment

Debbie George
Full Access
eris said on Monday, November 12th 2012 @ 9:20 AM:

Most days it handles me. How do I handle it.....poorly. Or at least I think I handle it poorly. And perception is everything. People tell me they cannot believe I am ADHD, on the rare occasion I choose to tell them. But, boy oh boy, do I ever know. It is exhausting. I think it is because ADHD is the baseline I start from, wherever I go and whatever I do and whatever I may think of doing. I am bridled with the loneliness factor of being judged and misunderstood-before I start. Funny that I made it this far without knowing a diagnosis myself; I was complicit in that  harsh judgement that I get from other people. I do use medication - but am made to feel like a drug addict when I go to get it. Next they'll have us slipping the script under a darkened door. I do reach out to my online community, but there is nothing to substitute for a face that looks at you kindly, and in my real life I am alone. It is the stigma of ignorance that is my my biggest battle. So I have learned to choose carefully, those I associate with and the things I do-and it is better. However, I cannot help but think that life somehow would be so much better, fuller, if more just understood and appreciated that I care more and try harder than the average bear.

new comment